Kay's Caps, Inc. was created in 1948 by a woman named Minna Kay- hence the name. It began as a small business in the Troy, New York, area and grew into a corporation with worldwide recognition as the premier manufacturer of "perma-starch" nurses' caps. Because of the finishing process used, it became possible to produce a cap that required no starch, yet had the appearance and texture of a starched one.
Nurses' uniforms at that time included the wearing of caps, and many schools and hospitals turned to Kay's for the manufacture of their traditional styles using the new process. Many... (more)